Pathways Improvement Scope
This K12 SWP application will support our effort to respond to the unique interests of our diverse students and align an exciting new pathway with current workforce demands. Each since 2021 the student survey data has shown a want and a need by the students for the school and school district to create a pathway in child development. A career in child development gives you the opportunity to work with children of all ages and understand their emotional, mental, and physical development. Child development is a growing field with a handful of job opportunities focused on education, clinical care, research, or training. Child Development pathway provides students with the skills and knowledge they need to pursue careers in child care and related fields, and the Education pathway emphasizes the preparation of students to become teachers.
Goals & Priorities
1. Culver City Unified School District (CCUSD ) will recruit and employ (1) Full-time (1.0 FTE) CTE Teacher and (1) Part-Time (5.0 FTE) classified employee to develop the Child Development Pathway. Courses in spring of 2024 will be developed to instruct the concentrator course in the beginning of the 2024-2025 school year. Grant funds will pay for the development and offering of the courses in 2024-25 and 25-26 with CCUSD absorbing these costs in subsequent years.
2. Culver City High School, Culver Park High, Culver Middle School, and, Culver City USD Office of Child Development staff will work with West LA College to offer a workshop in the Winter of 2023 to recruit students for the start of the Child Development Pathway in 2024-25 school year.
3. Career Counselor and CTE staff will intentionally recruit underserved populations for the AME Game Design pathway throughout the pre-scheduling months (December 2023/Jan-April 2024) so that 50% of enrolled students are from underserved populations.
4. English Learner Counselor will work with CTE staff to recruit English Learner students for the AME Child Development pathway throughout the pre-scheduling months of (December 2023/Jan-April 2024)
5. CCHS, CPHS, CCMS, and CCUSD-Office of Child Development will work with West LA College to develop the Child Development Pathway and create dual enrollment opportunities and work to articulate courses that will lead directly to post-secondary studies.
6. CCHS & CCODE CTE staff will work with the Culver City Education Foundation (CCEF) & the Culver City Chamber of Commerce’s (Chamber) contacts to identify and foster local industry partnerships and develop site visits and other work-based learning experiences that align with the pathway.
7. Computer equipment & software and classroom curriculum, and needs will be purchased for this pathway.
Industry Sector(s) Or Pathway(s)
Education, Child Development & Family Services (CDE)
Additional CCD Partners