Pathways Improvement Scope
Changes in this proposed application include:
Conducting Career Awareness classes online to allow up to 1,000 students to participate virtually from various parts of the city.
Instructors will rotate to introduce students to multiple industry sectors and pathways with high-wage and high-demand occupations.
Intentional focus to strengthen parent understanding of the CTE opportunities available in our schools and also at local community colleges.
Community College instructors will present opportunities that exist at their local college including their facilities, certifications, and work-based learning experiences.
Industry professionals to present virtually about their fields and occupations including virtual tours of their workplaces.
With this grant proposal we will be able to reach many more students for career awareness, specifically in high-wage and in demand careers.
Goals & Priorities
Our objectives for this grant and the pilot program we are proposing are in alignment with the first two California Community Colleges K-12 Strong Workforce objectives:
- “Facilitate K-12 students’ exploration and selection of learning opportunities leading to career paths.”
- “Build foundational career path skills and knowledge essential to subsequent success in college and early career exploration”
In addition, there are four others objectives for this grant proposal:
- Build student and parent interest and awareness in career pathways, specifically the targeted high-wage, in demand careers;
- Expand the number of students in career pathways;
- Provide opportunities for students, including disproportionally impacted students, to learn about and explore careers in high-wage, high-demand areas;
- Provide students with an opportunity to practice their leadership skills.
We will pilot a program through this grant, collect and analyze responses and look at attendance to determine the effectiveness of this work. If it is successful in achieving the objectives, which we think it will be, then we will apply to develop these seminars in all nine Los Angeles Community Colleges.
Industry Sector(s) Or Pathway(s)
Building & Construction Trades: Cabinetmaking, Millwork, & Woodworking Building & Construction Trades: Residential & Commercial Construction Business & Finance: Business Management Business & Finance: Financial Services Business & Finance: International Business Health Science & Medical Technology: Biotechnology Health Science & Medical Technology: Mental & Behavioral Health Health Science & Medical Technology: Patient Care Information & Communication Technologies: Information Support & Services Information & Communication Technologies: Networking Information & Communication Technologies: Software & Systems Development Marketing, Sales, & Service: Entrepreneurship/Self-Employment Transportation: Systems Diagnostics, Services & Repair Transportation: Other Transportation
Additional CCD Partners